Homeowners Insurance

Your home is usually the single largest personal asset that you own, so it's important to make sure you have the best possible coverage to protect it!  And the better you understand Homeowners insurance coverage, the better we’ll be able to find the best coverage to suit your needs.

Here are the two Homeowners insurance coverage types we offer at SeaFirst. You may also be interested in reading about our Condominium insurance coverage.

Comprehensive Homeowners Coverage

SeaFirst has designed a comprehensive program that combines coverage for your home, personal belongings, and third-party liability for your actions. You can also customize the policy to provide coverage for special items of value such as jewellery, coin collections, silverware, and so much more!

Coverage included in the Comprehensive Homeowner's policy:

  • Dwelling - Replacement Cost Coverage, which means we will rebuild your home, even if the cost exceeds the limit of insurance
  • Contents - protects your personal belongings in the home (and while temporarily removed from the home)
  • Outbuildings - protects detached structures on your property such as sheds, workshops, and garages
  • Additional Living Expenses – to pay for extra costs if you have to live somewhere else while your building is being repaired or rebuilt
  • Personal Liability - provides third-party liability coverage in the event that your actions cause property damage or bodily injury
  • Legal Expense – allows access to a legal information hotline relating to a personal legal problem
  • Water/Sewer back-up
  • Food spoilage – e.g. if your freezer is damaged in a fire
  • Fire department charges
  • Lock replacement
  • Property of a student living away from home during the school term

Homeowner's Excellence Program

SeaFirst has designed a comprehensive homeowner's excellence program for homes that are valued above $500,000. The policy includes all the coverages listed above, as well as some additional benefits such as:

  • A 'cash payout' option for your Dwelling and/or Contents. If you elect not to rebuild or repair, the basis of settlement will be the full value shown on the policy, without deduction for depreciation
  • Extended coverage for property temporarily removed from the home
  • An increased Personal Liability limit of $5,000,000
  • Increased 'Special Limits' for certain items such as food spoilage ($5,000), lock replacement ($20,000), jewellery ($15,000), art ($50,000), watercraft ($10,000), and coin collections ($10,000)

Optional Coverages Available:

  • Overland (fresh) water flooding
  • Earthquake coverage on the home and/or personal belongings
  • Bare Land Strata Property Loss Assessment coverage
  • Increased coverage on detached structures
  • Property used for a business

Discounts Available:

There are a number of discounts available to help manage your premium and keep your homeowners insurance quote as low as possible:

  • Claims-free discount
  • Mature discount/senior discount
  • New-Home discount
  • Increased deductible discount
  • Reducing coverage on personal belongings discount
  • Monitored or local alarm discounts
  • Mortgage-free discount


Q. Are there payment options, or do I have to pay my premium in a lump sum?

A. We have the option of setting our clients up on a convenient, monthly payment plan through your financial institution.

Q. How is the value of my home determined?

A. We work with you to determine the full replacement value of your home, including debris removal, demolition, architect fees, and construction charges.

Important Note: Replacement value should not be confused with market value. The market value is what your house, for example, would actually sell for and is generally more than the replacement cost. This is because replacement value does not include the land-which almost always does not need to be replaced.

Q. In my homeowners insurance coverage, am I covered for ‘Acts of God’?

A. In insurance policies, there is no such thing as an ‘Acts of God’ exclusion.  This seems to be a long-standing urban myth!

Q. Does my homeowners insurance cover my possessions even when I go on vacation?

A. Yes. Homeowners insurance is a package of insurance coverage that extends to all your possessions no matter where they are. If you take a round-the-world vacation and lose a valuable item, as long as the loss is by a covered event or peril, the location does not matter, you're covered.

The liability component also extends well beyond the boundaries of your home. Should you be found legally at fault for injury or loss to another individual, whether you unfortunately and unintentionally cause a tumble down a San Francisco hill or a fall in an Indiana barn, for example, your homeowner’s policy likely will cover you.

As in the property section of a homeowner’s policy, there are limits and exclusions to personal liability. Your business activities, for example, are not covered under your homeowner’s policy. You also are not covered for injuries or damage you deliberately cause. Your policy lists specific exclusions and limits.

Q. I rent out my basement. Are my tenants covered by my homeowner’s policy?

A. No. Your property and the structure (the basement) are covered by your policy, as is your personal liability. However, the tenants' possessions and liability are not covered by your policy. Therefore, they should purchase their own renters insurance. Whether you are a leaser or a renter, you should check with your broker to make sure you have the coverage you need.

Q. My mother-in-law lives with us. Are her possessions covered under my homeowners insurance?

A. As a member of the family, she is probably covered under your homeowner’s policy. Likewise, your child away at college is covered for personal liability and property loss. However, you should check with your broker to be sure of the extent of coverage.

Q. I work out of my home. Are my inventory and business property covered?

A. Yes, within certain limits. Both inventory and business property is covered as personal property used for business purposes. However, like all personal property, there are monetary limits on reimbursement, generally between $5000 and $25,000. Whether your home business is your primary occupation or a hobby that nets you a few hundred dollars a year, it is still a business, and you should treat it as such. If you've invested quite a bit in equipment (woodworking tools, for example) and sell the occasional decoy, you should consider whether the personal property limits are sufficient.

Q. Help! I've lost everything! Where do I start?

A. The best place to start after a great loss of property is with an inventory of that property. And the best time to make an inventory is before all is lost. If most of us suddenly found ourselves without anything due to some calamity, we would be hard pressed to know all that we had lost.

When was the last time, for example, that you counted the number of shoes or CDs you own, not to mention furniture, dishes, drapes, and audio/video equipment? How much is it all worth, and where would you start if you had to replace it?

Now is the time to make a list of major house, hold items and possessions. To make the job easier a home inventory form is available: just ask and we can provide you with either a hard or soft copy. Where possible, it is wise to list the items' serial number, the date and the cost of purchase and the receipt.

Perhaps an even easier way to inventory your home is to use a still or video camera. As you take the video, you also can talk about the items, when you purchased them and how much they cost.

Whatever method you choose, have a copy made. Ask a friend or family member to hold on to it. Store your copy in a safe deposit box. Check with your broker, who may be able to store a copy for you. If the worst happens and your home is destroyed, the inventory will be safe at another location.

Q. Why does my insurance company want to know where the nearest fire hydrant to my home is located?

A. The insurance company has to weigh many factors in determining a premium to charge for your policy. One factor is access to water (hence the question about the location of the nearest fire hydrant) as well as the dependability and proximity of your local fire company and police. Rural homes more than eight kilometres from a water supply are more at risk for severe damage from fire and lightning. Therefore, they can be more expensive to insure. Rural homeowners may even have difficulty obtaining insurance.

Q. What do I do when my property is damaged or stolen?

A. Contact your broker or company representative as soon as possible. If there is damage to your home or possessions, make "emergency" repairs to protect yourself and your property from further damage. For example, if some of the windows in your home have been blown out by wind, you may board them up to prevent additional damage. In fact, your policy covers the cost of these emergency measures.

However, before making permanent repairs, call your broker. The insurance company has the right to inspect the property in its damaged condition. They may want to send a claims adjuster or have you get an estimate from an independent contractor.

If your property is stolen, notify the police immediately and call your broker.

What if I am sued or found responsible for injuring another person?

A. Liability covers bodily injury and property damage to others due to your negligence. The coverage applies to non-auto accidents that occur either at your residence or off the premises. You may owe medical expense payments, such as first aid, to the injured party. Should you be sued as a result of your negligent actions or suspect that you might be sued, contact your broker or company representative immediately.

Click the Request a Quote button below today for a free, no-obligation Homeowners Insurance quote and to learn more about protecting your home!


Request a Quote

Frequently Asked Questions

SeaFirst and Garrett have been wonderful to deal with, quick to respond to our needs and questions. Even better is that they saved us a ton of money on our insurance with their adventure tourism specific policy. 

- Breanne and Rick, Spirit of the West Adventures Ltd.

The service received from SeaFirst, the adjusters, the insurers and the restoration people was great. I highly recommend everybody who was involved. Thanks for the help in a horrible situation.

- Nighean Anderson
 Intelligent Traffic Equipment

 I was satisfied and pleased with the prompt attention with which our claim was handled. Each person I spoke to during this process was very helpful.

- Sue, Intelligent Traffic Equipment